HTC Evo vs Ford Sync: mystery of bluetooth disconnect solved

Posted by & filed under Technology.

So, as I wrote before my happy world of connected technology had a dark cloud of weird behavior over it. And that bluetooth disconnect was directly caused by downloading a phone book from my phone.

Today I have finally figured out what is the problem. Simple. Duplicate entries in my HTC EVO phone book drove Sync insane and force headset part of the dual link to drop out with weird side effects (stereo audio system connect usually stays on).

Specifically, if you just happen to have two identical entries in the phone book, you’ll get this problem.

I don’t know if it’s partially Android’s fault. It could be. After all, it’s somewhat strange to have several identical records (Say, John Smith with phone number 555-123-4567), but these records are a result of, for example, importing the same (or partially matching) vcf file. I did it by accident, and my phone obediently duplicated a bunch of contacts.

Now HTC is trying to mask and solve this problem by allowing you to “link” similar contacts. So once two/three/five copies of John Smith are linked (and phone conveniently suggest it) you only see one entry. But internally the duplicate records are still there, and I guess they get counted wrong when SYNC is pulling full phonebook from the phone.

Regardless, if you are having problem with phone book download causing errors in bluetooth pairing, double-check your phone’s address book. If you are using HTC Sense based Android phone, make sure you un-link all contacts and remove all duplicates. It could be a chore, but in the end, being able to press SYNC button and say “Call John Smith at Home” could be worth it.

Downloading a hundred plus contacts still took a few minutes (all the while I held my fingers crossed, saying oh-please-oh-please-oh-please — no rational reason to do so, but helps when you’re out of ideas), and then it all worked. Hooray!

16 Responses to “HTC Evo vs Ford Sync: mystery of bluetooth disconnect solved”

1. Eric

THANK YOU!!!
    that was EXACTLY the issue that i had. I’ve struggled with this since August when i got my new EVO and once i deleted all of my phone contacts and deleted the duplicates and resynced with gmail my phonebook downloaded with no problem.

2. Barry

Awesome. I was having ended same issue. Im going too try this and I will post three result.

3. John

Yes, THANK YOU. Same bluetooth pairing and phone book disconnect issue. I was so aggravated, new phone and 2 days later new truck, it had to work! I took it a step or two further just for a good clear shot. I deleted my exchange server account on the phone which temporarily removed all 1500+ contacts and emails from it, deleted duplicate contacts in Outlook on the laptop (took a while), connected back to the server and let it send and receive all the changes, then added the exchange server back to the phone, let it connect and start synchronizing emails and contacts, went back to the truck and deleted all paired devices, brought the phone out and was able to pair it back, enter in the pin#, download the address book (like you, while crossing my fingers) and make any other changes needed. It never disconnected and worked perfectly. The trick is, get rid of the duplicate contacts and I chose to only sync with exchange server. 2011 HTC EVO Sprint 4G version 2.2 and 2011 Ford F150

4. Scot

I have the EVO Shift and have problems with it constantly disconnecting from SYNC in my 2009 Escape Hybrid. About a month ago I finally decided to Google it and found mention somewhere (can’t remember where) of the automatic download of the contacts causing it. I deleted the phone from SYNC, did a reset on the phone stuff in SYNC, then paired with my EVO Shift but told it not to download any contacts. I STILL get constant disconnects, even though it’s not downloading any contacts and I have no contacts setup in SYNC. I’m at a loss.

• Max Smolev

I believe it’s pulling the contact at the time of call as well. Downloading address book into SYNC allows you to make outgoing calls via voice command “Call”. But it will by default try to pull contact from the phone when incoming call comes in.

So if your symptoms are something like everything is fine up until a call comes in and then it disconnects in about a second or so after starting ringing/answering, then it’s still a duplicate contact issue.

I haven’t tried to run SYNC with empty address book. But I do have to “clean up” my contacts once in a while. Hope this helps.

5. jAYDOG

ACCORDING TO HTC/FORD AND CHRYSLER, THE EVO IS NOT YET COMPATIBLE WITH FORD SYNC OR CHRYSLER’S U-CONNECT. I HAVE BOTH AND I’M WAITING FOR THE UPGRADE HTC SAYS IS COMING SOON. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO MESS AROUND WITH DELETING CONTACTS AND LINKING AND ALL THAT STUFF. THE SYSTEM SHOULD CONNECT RELIABLY AND DOWNLOAD YOUR PHONE BOOK AND NOT DISCONNET THE BLUETOOTH.

I WILL REJOICE WHEN THE UPGRADE FINALLY ARRIVES.

• Max Smolev

I don’t think this problem only happens to EVO. As long as address book is fixed, standard functions work great.
      I’ll be glad when they actually fix it though

6. Rick Wiita

I have new EVO and 2011 F150- connects and worked great for 30 days. Now is disconnects and causes a “terminal program failyre” with google. I then have to “forceclose” the syatem and reboot all! I have shifted from a system i LOVED to one that I can not use.

7. Sync Master

For the people having phonebook downloading issues please read the following. I have tested everything out and found a solution that works properly:

UNLINKING CONTACTS IS NOT THE SOLUTION! THIS IS—>>>>>

I don’t know if this is the correct solution, but it seems to have worked for me for the time being. I believe this will work for everyone else too. After many attempts to download my phonebook onto my new 2012 Focus (Sync, Accept Authorization from Sync to pull phonebook…) to only find my bluetooth disconnecting on the download I decided to test out some other methods. The last reach for getting my phonebook onto my Sync system was one that not many people would probably think of… but here you go!

—> Remove all previous Syncs from your phone and previous HTC EVO’s from your Sync.
    —> Then follow the process of pairing your Sync and Phone.
    —> When asking if you would like your phonebook auto-download select “No” (You could select “Yes” but I don’t believe it’ll matter in the long run).
    —> Look at your phone, and when the notification pops up saying “Sync has requested to download your phonebook, would you like to approve this request?” select “NO” or “Never” (Whichever it is).
    —> You will receive the notification AGAIN. Like before… select “NO” or “Never”.

It will look like you have denied all privileges. However, after a few minutes take a look at your phonebook within Sync. Congratulations! You’ve just successfully beat the EVO/Ford Sync bug!

Hope this helped!

Please let me know if this works for everyone. I’d like to submit this to Ford and HTC should this fix work correctly with everyone.

Lastly… if you follow this link to syncmyride.com you’ll see the HTC EVO 4G is indeed supported. I don’t know why everyone has been saying the issue is that the phone isn’t compatible…

• Max Smolev

Thanks for your suggestion.
      I don’t think it works fully. Last time when I denied phone book download (and cleared and reset everything in Sync) I didn’t have anything in phonebook. So I couldn’t voice-dial by contact name (which is logical, now if you already downloaded phone book before and then link breaks, and you didn’t clear the actual phone book, you will still have contacts there)
      Given that I saw everything break as soon as I added a test contact with the same name as another one, I think that is the reason. For now everything has been working great as long as I don’t have duplicate contacts in phone’s address book.
      But hey, if this worked for you — great!

• Karen

You are the sync master. This totally worked in my new Murano. I had been going back and forth between the Sprint store and Nissan all week and they kept blaming each other. I had Sprint kill the phone, reload the contacts, and I checked to make sure there were no duplicates. I then paired the phone with the bluetooth in the Murano and when it said the network wanted to automatically download my phone list, I repeatedly had to decline (about 10 times). The phone finally gave up asking and that’s when my phonebook loaded perfectly into the bluetooth. All week I had been accepting the automatic download and it was loading a partial phonebook list and those contacts all had wrong phone numbers. Sprint and Nissan were both thrilled to get this information to help future customers. Thanks a million.

8. Philly Eric

Just one question. Should I see the contact address in my phone book once I sync to ford Explorer

• Max Smolev

I don’t have an Explorer, but if it uses same Sync system as Fiesta then yes — after you remove any duplicates, it should be able to download the phonebook and then name should be available for voice dialing and/or when incoming calls come in

9. Matt F-150

This worked like a charm for me too, here’s what I did:

Unlinked all the accounts by stopping the Facebook and HTC Sense sync. I then stopped syncing my Outlook contacts, deleted them from the phone, initiated the sync (which unfortunately deleted them from my Outlook). After that, I added them back into my Outlook from Deleted Items and resyncing just the Outlook contacts.

I’m in business and syncing my phonebook with the truck! Thanks!